Castries, the principal town of St. Lucia, is the seat of government and is situated at the eastern extremity of the beautiful harbour which bears its name. In maritime circles it is better known as Port Castries.
It was originally called "Carenage" or petit Cul-de-Sac because it was a land-locked harbour used for careening ships while under repairs, and in the days of sail when wind-jammers roamed the Caribbean, this safe service earned for Port Castries the descriptive Virgilian legend: "Statio Haud Malefida Carinis". This is as true today as it ever was: a safe anchorage for ships.More About Us
We aim to exceed the high standards people expect of our waste and cleansing services whether they work, visit or live in the City.
Explore the many parks and grounds in the city of Castries
On May 15 1923, the corner stone was laid by Mrs. Davidson-Houston the administrator. It was completed in June 1923 under the supervision of Mr. Lubrin E. Lawrence of P.W.D, with a free grant from the Carnegie foundation. Although the building was completed, it was gutted by fire in 1947 and restored in 1958.
Construction on the market was started in 1891 and completed on July 2, 1894 and formally opened by His Excellency Sir Charles Bruce. The engineers were Bruce and Still Limited of Liverpool. The building is still structurally sound and virtually unchanged architecturally since its completion so long ago. There is a water fountain in the centre of that building.
This massive church begun in 1894 by Fr. Tapon on the site of previous churches and was designed by Fr. Scoles, a Priest from Demerara. It was complete in 1897 and solemnly consecrated by Archbishop Dowling in 1931. It became a cathedral, when bishop Gachet was consecrated in 1957, and Castries Diocese was established.
Derek Walcott Square (formerly Columbus Square) is a public square and park. The square is bounded by Bourbon, Brazil, Laborie and Micoud Streets. The square was previously named Place d'Armes and Promenade Square. It was named Columbus Square in 1892. In 1993, it was named Derek Walcott Square after Nobel Laureate DEREK WALCOTT.
Commonly referred to as the gardens, the George V Park was home to one of the most revered Botanical Gardens in the entire world. Named after a British King of the early 1900's, the gardens are a popular place for a walk in the middle of the day. The park is also home to the bust of Charles Eugene de La Croix, Marquis de Castries, who Castries City was named after. Marquis of Castries heavily involved in shaping the friendship between France and Saint Lucia.